There are a number of exciting changes to the Chevy Sonic this year, including subtle sculpting to the exterior and new LED running lights and projector-beam headlamps. Every trim level now comes standard with the most up-to-date version of the Chevy MyLink infotainment system on a 7-inch touchscreen with a rearview camera. Apart from that, changes amount mostly to the renaming of the top-of-the-line trim – now called the Premier – and some minor feature shuffling throughout the lineup.
In spite of its many exciting updates, the 2017 Chevy Sonic is still a very affordable option for most drivers:
- LS: MSRP from $15,145
- LT: MSRP from $17,530
- Premier: MSRP from $19,720
Performance and Fuel Economy
The 2017 Chevy Sonic is available with two capable and fuel-efficient engines. Choose the right one for you:
- Base Engine: The first two trims in the Sonic lineup come standard with a 1.8L four-cylinder engine that makes 138 hp and 125 lb-ft of torque. Depending on what you’re looking for, you can go with a five-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission. Fuel economy is strong, coming in at a combined 30 mpg city/highway with the manual or a combined 28 mpg city/highway with the automatic, according to EPA estimates.
- Turbocharged Engine: Available on the LT and standard on the Premier trim, the Sonic’s turbocharged 1.4L inline-four gets you improved performance and fuel economy. Power comes in at 138 hp and 148 lb-ft of torque, while EPA estimates are 33 mpg combined city/highway with a six-speed manual or 31 mpg combined city/highway with a six-speed automatic.
- RS Package: This unique package is offered on LT and Premier trim levels and includes a sport body kit, rear spoiler, stylish trim accents, and more. On the Premier trim, it tacks on a more rigid, sport-tuned suspension and faux-suede inserts in the seats.
Trims and Features
From the well-equipped base trim to the downright lavish Premier model, the 2017 Chevy Sonic has plenty of appeal:
- LS: The base model is far from your stripped down economy car. Every version of the Chevy Sonic comes with a 7-inch Chevy MyLink touchscreen interface with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, Bluetooth phone and audio, and the OnStar telematics system with automatic crash notification, emergency roadside assistance, and a 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot. The exterior gets standard LED running lights, auto headlights, and 15-inch steel wheels.
- LT: Upgrade to the LT trim and you’ll get stylish accents like alloy wheels and chrome body accents, as well as cruise control, a remote start system on models equipped with the automatic transmission, and a six-speaker sound system with satellite radio and an extra USB port.
- Premier: Move up to the Premier trim and you’ll get the turbocharged engine standard as well as heated front seats, keyless entry, push-button start, a leather-wrapped steering wheel, and leatherette upholstery. This trim also comes with 17-inch alloy wheels.
From its composed performance to its many advanced features and adaptable cabin, there’s a lot to praise about the 2017 Chevy Sonic. Critics are taking notice:
- Kelley Blue Book: “Thanks to a freshening for 2017, the new Sonic presents an even better option for younger drivers or commuters on a budget, thanks to the addition of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone compatibility and available features like built-in Wi-Fi not usually found in a subcompact car.”
- Edmunds: “The 2017 Chevrolet Sonic stands out for its comparatively roomy interior, many standard features and available hatchback body style. It’s even fun to drive, especially if you opt for the turbocharged engine.”
- Car and Driver: “Chevrolet’s handsome Sonic offers practicality, efficiency, and agility in a compact package.”
Find out More About the Capable 2017 Chevy Sonic
Drivers throughout Chicagoland are already finding lots of reasons to be enthusiastic about the significantly updated 2017 Chevrolet Sonic. Find your own reasons for loving this model in its sedan or hatchback configuration when you visit Sunrise Chevrolet, located near Bloomingdale at 414 E. North Ave in Glendale Heights, IL. Our sales team is always here to answer your questions.